BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT – MARCH 6, 2013
March 4, 2013 in Bible Study
“THE PASSION OF CHRIST!”
On March 6, 2013, we continue with our teaching on The Passion of Christ. Over the next four weeks we will study Matthew Chapters 26-28. In these chapters we will learn more about the betrayal, trial, denial, conviction, suffering, death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. Come learn about the Passion of Jesus and how these last three chapters in Matthew contain the essence of the Good News for Christians.
Here in week ten of 2013, we will study Matthew 26:31-75, which shows Jesus in the garden and his betrayal, arrest, trial by the Romans and Jews and denial by his own disciples! Please answer the following questions after reading the focus Scriptures.
- What do you think Jesus meant when told his disciples in Matthew 26:31 that they would all “be made to stumble because of Me this night”?
- Which Old Testament Scriptures was Jesus quoting when he said, “for it is written: ‘I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’”?
- What was the significance of Jesus’ declaration in Verse 32 that after he was raised he would “go before you to Galilee”?
- Do you think Peter’s bold statement in Verse 33 that he would “never be made to stumble” was from confidence or arrogance?
- Although Peter’s boast and cocky assurance of his willingness to even die with Jesus is often criticized and discussed, what did the other disciples say that showed they were no better than Peter?
- Where was the Garden of Gethsemane? What did the name Gethsemane mean? How many of his disciples did Jesus take with him to the Garden of Gethsemane?
- How many of his disciples did Jesus take with him to pray? Who were they? Why do you think these disciples were Jesus’ “inner circle”?
- What did these disciples of the inner circle do when Jesus went away to pray? Which question did Jesus ask them that is the theme for the Thanksgiving Day Service at Charity?
- Where do we find in these Scriptures the three prayers that Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane? What did Jesus say in those three prayers?
- Do you think Jesus was talking about himself or the disciples when he said in Verse 41 “The spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak.”
- What was Jesus’ famous quote about drinking from the cup while he was in the Garden? What did he mean by this prayer of deep anguish and victory?
- What was Judas’ sign to the mob when they came for Jesus that our Lord was the one they were seeking? Since Jesus was so well known among the people, why do you think Caiaphas and the chief priests and elders did not know what he looked like?
- Which of Jesus’ disciples drew a sword and cut off the ear of Caiaphas’ servant? How do you know? Why do you think this disciple suddenly resorted to violence?
- In which Verse do we see that all of Jesus’ disciples deserted him?
- How do these verses show why Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. followed the teachings of Jesus in his non-violent campaign to to change America?
- What was the Sanhedrin Council? Who sat on the council and what were its powers?
- Which verse shows that Jesus was not the victim but rather the powerful victor in his trial?
- How did Jesus’ two accusers misquote him before Caiaphas and the council?
- Which Old Testament apocalyptic Book was Jesus quoting in Verse 64?
- In which verses does Peter deny knowing Jesus three times?
- What was the sign that proved to Peter that Jesus’s prediction of his denial had come true? How did Peter react to this sign?