READING THE BIBLE IN 52 WEEKS
THE BOOK OF PROVERBS
On October 11, 2017, we will turn to the centerpiece of the Wisdom books of the Bible: Proverbs. The Book of Proverbs is God’s book of wisdom for all people, not just the churched but the un-churched as well! However, those in church are the target of the brilliant and powerful messages found in Proverbs.
Please read prayerfully and carefully the Book of Proverbs and answer the following questions for next Wednesday:
1. What does the word Proverb mean?
2. Who wrote the Book of Proverbs? Did he write the entire Book of Proverbs?
3. The title to Proverbs is the longest title in which:
a. The Writings
b. The Old Testament
c. The Bible
4. Proverbs 1:2-6 gives the five purposes of the Book of Proverbs. Can you list the five purposes and show which verses each purpose is found?
5. The theme of the Book of Proverbs is found in which Verse of Chapter 1?
6. Proverbs 1:8-20 thru 2:22 are great lessons for young people, especially teenagers. Which verses in Proverbs 1:8-20 tell our teens the following:
a. Obey your parents?
b. Avoid bad company?
c. Seek Wisdom?
7. During the days of Solomon the Book of Proverbs was used as the instruction manual to develop young leaders. Today, the Book of Proverbs should again be used as an instruction manual for young Christian leaders. Some of the best lessons for young Christians are found in Proverbs 3:1-12. The best known verses in Chapter 3 are Verses 5 and 6. Unfortunately, these verses are often quoted out of context. What do you think is the proper context for Proverbs 3:5-6 and what do these verses meant to you?
8. The Book of Proverbs is really about human conduct and character. In Chapters 1 thru 9 primarily young men are told to choose wisdom over folly or foolishness. Where do you find the major warnings to young men to avoid adultery, laziness and foolishness? Why do you think there are no warnings specifically to young women in these sections?
9. In Proverbs Chapter 6 there is a warning to all young people about six things God hates and a seventh thing He detests. What are those seven things?
10. The Proverbs of Solomon really start at Chapter 10:1 to 22:17 using the literary style of parallelism with two lines per verse in a contrast mode. How do we know that Solomon wrote these proverbs?
11. Which verse in Proverbs Chapter 22 talks about the value of a good name and reputation?
12. What is the best-known verse in Proverbs Chapter 22 what do they mean to you?
13. Which verses in Chapters 26 and 27 warn us not to boast about ourselves or become wise in our own eyes?
14. Which chapter did Agur write?
15. Who was King Lemuel and which famous Proverbs chapter did he write?
16. What great thing did King Lemuel’s mother challenge him to do that is often overlooked from Chapter 31?
17. What is the well-known title of poem that King Lemuel said he got from his mother? What kind of special woman was King Lemuel writing about here?
Proverbs is an excellent book to teach young people about building character through gaining wisdom. Parents should use it to teach themselves and their children how to move to the next level as Christian leaders. Now that you have read Proverbs from beginning to the end, what do you understand now that was not clear before? What are your favorite verses in Proverbs?
PLEASE READ ECCLESIASTES AND SONG OF SONGS
FOR OCTOBER 18, 2017