LESSON THREE: “THE SON OF GOD”
Welcome to our third lesson in our study of the Son of God, the second person of the Holy Trinity. This week we will study the “Temptations of Jesus in the Wilderness,” the rejection of Jesus in his hometown, Jesus’ “Justice Manifesto” and his mission statement. Please read Luke Chapter 4:1-13 and Luke 4:14-30 and answer these questions:
1. Who led Jesus into the wilderness where he was tempted by the devil?
2. How many temptations did the devil test Jesus with in this text?
3. How did Jesus respond to the first temptation and what scripture did he quote?
4. What was the second temptation of Jesus by the devil and what scripture did Jesus use to respond?
5. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the devil and which scripture did the devil misquote in that temptation?
6. What did Jesus teach about the scripture that the devil misquoted in the third temptation?
7. In Luke 4:13, what do you think the devil meant about the next opportunity and when do you think this opportunity came in the Bible?
8. What is the name of Jesus’ hometown to which he returned filled of the Holy Spirit?
9. Which Old Testament book did Jesus read from in the synagogue in this text?
10. Which Old Testament verses did Jesus read from in Luke 4:18-19?
11. Why do you think that Luke 4:18 could be called Jesus’ “Justice Manifesto”?
12. Why do you think Luke 4:18-19 could be called Jesus’ mission statement?
13. What was the time period in the Old Testament that was called the “time of the Lord’s favor” or the “Jubilee Year”?
14. Which part of the Old Testament Scripture, that Jesus quoted, was left out of what he said in Luke 4:19?
15. What do you think the crowd meant when they asked in Luke 4:22, “How can this be?”,
and “Isn’t this Joseph’s son?”
16. What do you think Jesus meant by his quote in Luke 4:23?
17. What made the crowd so furious that they tried to kill Jesus in Luke 4:24-27?
18. How did Jesus get away from the angry mob in Luke 4:28-30?