May 13, 2013 in Bible Study
On May 15, 2013, we will look deeper in our study of the Pentecost by studying the miracles of Jesus as described in Acts 2:22:”People of Israel, listen! God publicly endorsed Jesus the Nazarene by doing powerful miracles, wonders, and signs through him, as you well know.”
Here in week twenty of 2013, we will start with the first of the 37 Miracles of Jesus and make our way to the last asking and answering the question: what does this miracle mean? This week we start our teaching on Jesus’ miracles with a look at Jesus’ first miracle, which is only found in the Gospel of John. Please read John 21:1-11 and answer the following questions:
- What does the word miracles mean in the Bible?
- What do you think was the importance of miracles in the Bible?
- What are some of other words used for miracles in the Bible?
- How do we know that this was the first recorded miracle of Jesus?
- While weddings today last anywhere from five minutes to two hours, how much longer did the weddings last in those days?
- John 2:2 says Jesus and his disciples were at the wedding as invited guests but it does not say how many of Jesus’ disciples were there. How many of Jesus disciples do you think were with him in John 2:2? Please choose one answer below:
- Why do you think running out of wine caused such a crisis that Mary announced to her son Jesus that they were out of wine?
- When Mary said “They have no more wine,” who was the “they” she was talking about?
- After Mary tells Jesus there is no more wine, He responds in John 1:4 by calling His mother “woman.” Which attitude do you think Jesus was displaying in His response?
- What do you think Jesus meant when He said to Mary that His hour had not come?
- What do you think is the message in Mary’s command to the servants to do “whatever” Jesus told them to do?
- The summary of the meaning of this miracle is found in John 2:10. How would you summarize the meaning of John 2:10 and the purpose of this miracle?
- How do you think John 2:11 shows what Jesus’ disciples got out of this miracle?
- What does John 2:12 say to you about this “family time” that Jesus spent with His immediate and extended families?