CHARITY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT – WEDNESDAY, July 22, 2015
THE BOOK OF GENESIS
On July 22, 2015, in Week 30, we continue our study of the first book in the Bible: Genesis. Our goal in the study of Genesis is to understand God’s revelation of Himself to His creation and the purpose of this written revelation by the author of Genesis. This book is beautifully written but also raises several questions that we will answer together over the next several weeks. Let’s keep going!
Please read Genesis Chapters 28-29 and answer these questions:
1.What was the blessing Isaac gave Jacob and how did this show God’s will?
2. Why do you think Isaac commanded Jacob to leave home and go find a wife in the homeland of his mother Rebekah?
3. How does Genesis 28:6-9 show that in addition to Esau being mad enough with his brother Jacob to want to kill him but Esau had lost respect for his father Isaac?
4. Where do you see “Jacob’s Ladder” in Genesis Chapter 28?
5. Now that you have read Chapter 28, is Jacob’s Ladder what you thought it was? Was it even a ladder? What is different about the real story of Jacob’s Ladder, in the Bible, compared to the song “We Are Climbing Jacob’s Ladder”?
6. What did Jacob mean when he woke up and called the place he slept Bethel and why was this so important?
7. What did Jacob do to remember Bethel?
8. What did Jacob do in Gen. 28:22 that should be an important message to us today in our beautiful “Bethel Spot” Charity?
9. Who was Nahor that Jacob asked about in Gen. 29:5?
10.Who was Rachel and which occupation did she have like many men in the BIble?
11. What was amazing about what Jacob did in Gen. 29:10?
12. Why do you think Jacob wept out loud after he kissed Rachel in Gen. 29:11?
13. Up to this point in his life, Jacob had been the master of “trickeration” but his uncle Laban gave him some of his own medicine! What did Laban do to Jacob that reminded us of the dirty deeds of Jacob?
14. How did Laban’s deception of Jacob remind us of how Jacob got to meet Rachel in the first place?
15. How long did Jacob have to work for his uncle Laban?
16. Who was the well-known ancestor of Jacob with the same condition as Rachel?
17. Why did God “open the womb” of Leah?
18. Why did Leah have the first four sons of Jacob?
19. What were the names of the first four sons Leah had for Jacob?
20. Why was the name of the fourth son of Leah so important to the future of Hebrews?
PLEASE READ GENESIS CHAPTER 30 FOR JULY 29, 2015