THE BOOK OF GENESIS
On February 18, 2015, in Week 8, we continue our study of the first book in the Bible: Genesis. Our goal in the study of Genesis is to understand God’s revelation of Himself to His creation and the purpose of this written revelation by the author of Genesis. This book is beautifully written but also raises several questions that we will answer together over the next several weeks. Let’s keep going!
Please read Genesis Chapter 4 and go back to the end of Chapter 3 answer these questions:
- Does Genesis 3:16 mean God intended for men to rule over women? Why or Why not?
- Read 3:16 again and see if there is something you may have missed that might help us better understand this verse beyond just men ruling over women?
- Do you think Cain was conceived before of after the Fall? Why do you think so?
- When Eve said in Genesis 4:1b “With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man” was she being boastful or grateful?
- Check the reason or reasons you think God rejected Cain’s gift and accepted Abel’s gift even though both gifts were given as offerings and not sacrifice.
- God rejected Cain’s offering because Cain did not give God an animal sacrifice
- God was testing Cain to see if he would worship God or disobey God.
- God knew Cain’s heart BEFORE Cain did anything and knew Abel’s gift came from “a cheerful giver” or a heart made right with God.
- Mayor Keith Summey and Sheriff Al Canon have accused the Black churches in of not doing enough to stop murders and killings in this city. Was this charge by the mayor and others proven to be true or false by the story of Cain and Abel?
- Are there things that the church can do to reduce the killings in North Charleston?
- Which words of counsel did God give Cain in Genesis 4:6-7 that can help us today?
- Which emotions did Cain display in response to God that also cause so many of the murders and shootings in our area today?
- What question did God ask Cain that was very familiar to the question God asked Cain’s father Adam in Chapter 3?
- How was Cain’s answer to God’s question like Adam’s answer in Chapter 3?
- Do you think Cain lied to God for the same reasons that his father lied to God?
- In Genesis 4:9 Cain gives one of the best-known questions in the Bible, what is it?
- What do you think Cain meant by his answer to God in Genesis 4:9? What should be our answer today to the same question?
- Was Cain the first person in the Bible cursed by God?
- Why do you think God provided protection for Cain in Genesis 4:15 despite his evil actions?
- Where do you think Cain’s wife came from since Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel are the first human beings in the Bible?
- Was Cain’s son Enoch the one who did not die but taken away by God himself?
- Who was Seth and what did his name mean?
- What major growth in mankind’s relationship with God that took place after the birth of Seth?
PLEASE READ GENESIS CHAPTERS 5-8 FOR WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2015 WEEK AS WE LEARN ABOUT NOAH, THE FLOOD AND THE REVERSAL OF A CURSE