THE LIFE, PERSON, TEACHING AND WORK OF JESUS THE CHRIST
THIS JESUS: HIS MINISTRY BEGINS
Welcome to Bible Study! This week we continue our study of Jesus the Christ with a look at the beginning of his ministry. The ministry of Jesus had many facets including healing, teaching, preaching and saving. This week we look at his preparation for the start of his ministry and the healing that came at the beginning of his ministry. So come now and let us “meet Jesus again, for the first time!”
In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the Desert of Judea 2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.”
- Who was John the Baptist? Was he a relative of Jesus?
- What did John mean by the word repent? What made John’s form of baptism so different from the kind of baptism the Jews practiced at that time?
- Since Jesus could not sin and therefore had no need to repent, why was it so important for Jesus to be baptized by John? What did Jesus mean when he said John must baptize him “to fulfill all righteousness?”
- What was the meaning of the Holy Spirit descending like a dove on Jesus? What do you think God meant when He said “with you I am well pleased?”
- Why do you think it was necessary for the Spirit to lead Jesus into the desert to be tempted by Satan? What were some of the temptations Jesus faced in the wilderness? What lessons can young people learn today from how Jesus handled the temptations while he was alone with the devil in the desert?
- What do you think Jesus means by his double command in Verse 15, “Repent and believe the good news?”
- What do you think the evil spirit meant by his questions to Jesus in Verse 24? What did the evil spirit know that the crowd didn’t know?
- Why do you think the people were so amazed when Jesus defeated the evil spirit that possessed the man in these verses?
- Who was Simon in this text? What were the double healings Jesus gave Simon’s mother-in-law?
- Why do you think Verse 34 makes a distinction between Jesus healing diseases and removing demon possession? Why wouldn’t Jesus let the demons speak?
- Who was Judas Maccabaeus and how did his work help shape the Jews expectations of what kind of king the Messiah would be?
4 And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.
13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.
14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!”
23 Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an evile spirit cried out, 24 “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are — the Holy One of God!”
25 “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!” 26 The evil spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek. 27 The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching — and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey him.”
29 As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. 30 Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told Jesus about her. 31 So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.
34 and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.