BEFORE THEY CRUCIFIED HIM THEY BEAT AND HUMILITATED HIM!
LISTEN TO SERMON BY DR. GARDNER TAYLOR: “IN HIS OWN CLOTHES”
READ: MARK 15
Before Jesus was crucified, the Gospel of Mark records his trial, brutal beating and utter humiliation at the hands of the puppets of Rome and his own people. We must understand that what Jesus went through in this chapter makes it clear why he understands so deeply the mistreatment of oppressed people. Much of this abuse of Jesus was made worse because he was considered as a part of an oppressed minority. Read Mark and hear the sermon to find out why our Savior was treated worse than usual because of who he was and what he said.
Please answer these questions from reading the handout and Mark 15:
1. While the initial charge against Jesus from the Pharisees was blasphemy, the Sanhedrin ultimately decided to charge him with another crime. What was it?
2. Why was it important for Jesus to answer Pilate’s question in Verse 2.
3. Who was Barabbas and what was his first name?
4. Why did the soldiers put a purple robe on Jesus and what was the symbolism of the crown of thorns?
5. Who was Simon of Cyrene? Where was he from and why do you think it was important enough to mention it in Verse 21?