“AFTER THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST:
After his resurrection in Chapter 20 of the Gospel of John, Jesus the Christ attends to some unfinished business. Before his final ascent to take his rightful place on the right hand of God the Father in Heaven, Jesus had to reward the faithfulness of Mary Magdalene and bring peace to his disciples. Most importantly Jesus had to prepare his disciples for their future work by breathing on them the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Please read John Chapter 20 and then prepare to answer the following questions:
- What is the reaction of Mary Magdalene to the empty tomb and why do you think she reacted in such a way?
- How did Peter and John react to the empty tomb?
- Why do you think John stopped at the tomb entrance and Peter kept going?
- What is it that John believed in Verse 8?
- Why do you think Mary didn’t recognize Christ at first?
- What did Christ mean in Verse 17?
- Why were the disciples afraid of the Jews?
- What is Jesus’ answer to their fear?
- What does Jesus give to the disciples Verse 22 and why was it so necessary?
- Is Verse 23 meant just for the disciples or for all believers? Why?
- What do you think is the meaning of Verse 23?
- Why might it have been hard for Thomas to believe the testimony of the other disciples?
- Thomas has been called “Doubting Thomas” but do you think he doubted Jesus?
- Why do you think that Thomas’ statement in Verse 28 has been called the “Great Confession”?
- To whom is Christ referring in verse 29?
- What makes Verses 30 and 31 so essential to the Gospel of John?