GALATIANS CHAPTER 4
In Chapter 4 Paul continues to explain to the Galatians how they have become free through Jesus Christ. Please read carefully and prayerfully Galatians 4as we learn together why this chapter declares freedom and equality for us some 2,000 years later!
1. In Galatians 4:1Paul refers to an heir. What does Paul mean by the word heir? Who were the heirs that Paul was talking about?
2. What do you think is the big problem with Paul using the word heir to compare a new Christian’s relationship with God to a father leaving an inheritance to a son? How would you clarify this confusion with a new Christian who is not clear on the proper interpretation of Verse 1?
3. Who are the “guardians and trustees” that Paul wrote about in Verse 2?
4. In Verse 3,Paul says an underage person is considered the same as a slave. In which ways were underage persons considered the same a slaves during the days when Paul wrote Galatians.
5. In Verse3,Paul talks about the Jews and the Gentiles as being “in slavery under the elemental spiritual forces of the world.” When Paul used the term “elemental spiritual forces” what do you think he meant?
6. What are some examples of “elemental spiritual forces” today?
7. In Galatians 4:4,the King James Version says “when the fullness of time was come,” and the NIV says “when the set time had fully come,”; what did these terms mean?
8. In the rest of Galatians 4:4, Paul says “God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law.” What does the term “born of a woman” mean? Name an Old Testament Scripture and New Testament where this term is used?
9. QUESTION FOR ALL: WHY DO YOU THINK IT WAS IMPORTANT FOR PAUL TO EMPHASIZE THAT JESUS WAS BORN UNDER THE LAW IN VERSE 4?