READING THE BIBLE IN 52 WEEKS
THE GOSPELS OF LUKE AND JOHN
On November 21, 2012, we will continue our study of the New Testament by reading the Gospels of Luke and John. A good study of the third and fourth Gospels will give important details about our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ. first two books in the New Testament will give us a better understanding of their major points.
Remember: THREE-A-DAY IS THE EASIEST WAY! There are 1,189 Chapters in the Bible and to read the whole Bible in 52 Weeks, one must read an average of 3.25 Chapters every day!
Here in week forty-two, we will also learn how these two books were written to different audiences for a common purpose: “to know more about Jesus1” Please read these books and answer the following questions:
THE GOSPEL OF LUKE
- Who was Luke? What was his profession?
- To whom did Luke write his Gospel? Luke is also the author of what other major New Testament Book?
- The Gospel of Luke is divided into four sections; can you name them?
- Who were Zechariah and Elizabeth in Gospel of Luke?
- Where was Zechariah when the angel appeared to him? Who was the angel? What did this angel say and what was Zechariah’s response?
- What was Zechariah’s son’s name? How did the son get his name?
- What five promises did the angel Gabriel make about the baby Jesus? Where do you find them in Luke?
- How old was the prophet Anna when Jesus was born? How do you know?
- How was old Jesus when we last see in Luke as a boy?
- In Luke 3:7-9, John preached a convicting word to those coming to be baptized and even called them a “brood of vipers.” What did he mean by this harsh description of them? I have not heard many sermons about John’s message demanding justice but it is right there in Chapter 3. Where in Chapter 3 do we see John preaching about doing justice?
- After Jesus is baptized by John, we find Jesus’ genealogy in Luke 3:23-38. Why do you think Luke included this long genealogy? What is different about the Luke’s genealogy and the genealogy of Matthew 1:1-17?
- Where in Luke 4 does Jesus give his mission statement?
- Where in Luke Chapter 6 do we see two instances of Jesus having a conflict over activity on the Sabbath? What do you think was Jesus message about how the Pharisees had changed the true meaning of the Sabbath?
- Luke is said to be the “Gospel of the women” and in Luke 7 we Jesus treating another woman as though she was important which upset the Pharisees. Recently Pastor Rivers preached about such an encounter between Jesus and a woman in Chapter 7. Do you remember the name of the sermon that Pastor Rivers preached about this woman and Jesus?
- Where in Luke does Jesus “Feed the Five Thousand”? Why do you think this miracle was so important to Jesus and his disciples?
- Where in Luke does Jesus give the “model prayer.”? This prayer is often called the “Lord’s Prayer” but what should it really be called?
- Who was Zaccheaus and what was so amazing about Jesus’ visit with him?
PLEASE READ THE GOSPEL OF JOHN AND ACTS FOR NOVEMBER 28, 2012