“THE PASSION OF CHRIST!”
On March 20, 2013, we continue with our teaching on The Passion of Christ and our study of Matthew Chapters 26-28. In these chapters we will learn more about the betrayal, trial, denial, conviction, suffering, crucifixion, death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. Come learn about the Passion and Resurrection of Jesus and how these last three chapters in Matthew contain the essence of the Good News!
Here in week twelve of 2013, we will study Matthew 27:32-66, which shows the agony of our Savior as He was crucified and then died for us! Please answer the following questions after reading the focus Scriptures.
- What was the name of the man who was forced to carry the cross for Jesus and where was he from?
- What were the names of the two sons of the man who carried Jesus’ cross?
- Why do you think someone had to carry Jesus’ cross?
- Why was the place where Jesus was crucified called, Golgotha?
- What was in the mixture the soldiers offered Jesus to drink while he was on the cross and why do you think the soldiers offered this mixture to Jesus?
- What do you think were the garments that Jesus was wearing when the soldiers divided them and cast lots for them?
- What was meant by casting lots?
- Which Old Testament Scripture was quoted in Matthew 27:35?
- Why do think the soldiers “kept watch over” Jesus in Matthew 27:36?
- Who wrote the sign “THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS” that was placed above Jesus’ head on the cross and what did the sign mean?
- Who were the two robbers crucified with Jesus and did they speak?
- What were some of the mocking things said by those who passed by Jesus as he hung on the cross?
- Who mocked Jesus as they passed by Him on the cross?
- How long was Jesus on the cross?
- During which time period did darkness come over the land?
- What did Jesus cry out at the end of His crucifixion and what did it mean?
- Are those same words of anguish from Jesus found in the Old Testament and if so, where are they found?
- Since Jesus was speaking in his preferred Aramaic language, why do you think some in crowd did not understand him?
- Matthew 27:44 says “even the robbers who were crucified with Him reviled Him” and yet Luke 23:40-41 says one of these two criminals did not revile him. How would you harmonize (bring into agreement or get on one accord) these two seemingly conflicting accounts from the Gospels of the same scene?
- What do you think were the meanings of the supernatural things that happened after Jesus cried aloud and gave up His spirit?
- What were the names of the three women mentioned in Matthew 27:56 who watched Jesus die on the cross from “afar off”?
- How do you feel about the role of women in ministering to Jesus even until the very end of his earthly life?
- Name two important things you know about Joseph of Arimathea who went to Pilate to claim the dead body of Jesus?
- Why was it so important that Joseph of Arimathea claim Jesus body for burial right after Jesus’ died and why do you think Joseph’s action was courageous?
- What did the chief priests and Pharisees do after Jesus’ body was buried in the tomb to let you know they even feared Him in death?
- Why do you think the sealing of the tomb of Jesus’ body is so important to Gospel stories and the powerful truth of the Resurrection of Jesus the Christ?
COME ENJOY THE HOLY WEEK REVIVAL NEXT WEEK, MARCH 25-27, AND THEN READ MATTHEW 28:1-20 FOR WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3, 2013.