BIBLE STUDY ON THE HOLY SPIRITS
LESSON ONE: “THE SON OF GOD”
Welcome to our first lesson in our study of the Son of God, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Please read the article below from the NIV Compact Dictionary of the Bible to prepare for this first lesson on the Son of God.
SON OF GOD
From: NIV Compact Dictionary of the Bible
One of the primary titles of Jesus in the NT. His claim to this title was the principal charge that the Jewish leaders made against him (Matthew 26:63-64; Mark 14:61-62; cf. John 5:17-18; 19:7). The confession that Jesus is the Son of God was basic to the teaching of the apostles and the faith of the early church (2 Corinthians 1:19; Gal 2:20; 1 John 4:15; 5:5, 13). The title is to be understood both as a synonym for Messiah (Ps 2:7; Matthew 16:16; 26:63; 27:40) and as implying deity through a unique relation with the Father (John 5:18).
The filial consciousness of Jesus and his unique relationship with the Father are particularly emphasized in John’s Gospel. Jesus is God’s only Son (John 1:18), one with the Father (10:30), always doing the Father’s will (4:34; 5:30; 6:38), and being in the Father as the Father is in him (10:38). He speaks what he hears from the Father (12:50), has unique knowledge of the Father (10:15; cf. Matthew 11:27), and possesses the authority of the Father (John 3:35; 5:22; 13:3; 16:15). Thus, only in and through the Son is God’s salvation given (3:36; 5:26; 6:40).
Outside the Gospels, God is called “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,” suggesting a particular intimacy between Father and Son (Rom 15:6; 2 Cor 1:3; Eph 1:3; Colossians 1:3; 1 Peter 1:3; Revelation 1:6). By his resurrection and ascension Jesus is designated Son of God (Romans 1:3) and preached to be so (Acts 8:37; 9:20; 13:33; 2 Cor 1:19). The distinction and difference between Jesus and the great prophets of Israel is that Jesus is the unique Son of God (Hebrews 1; 3:6). Finally, there is the Trinitarian formula in Matthew 28:19.
Please answer the following questions on the Son of God based on your knowledge and what you learned in this article:
1. Who is the Son of God?
2. Can you show us 5 places in the New Testament where title Son of God is used?
3. Can you show us 5 places in the New Testament where the title Son of God is used in the teachings and writings of the Apostles?
4. What is meant by the word filial in relationship between Jesus and God the Father?
5. Which Gospel has the most to say about Jesus’ filial relationship with God the Father?
6. Can you find 5 places in the Gospel of John that show this relationship between Jesus and God the Father?
7. Where in the Gospel of John can you find proof that salvation is only possible through Jesus the Christ?
8. Can you find at least three places in the New Testament, but outside of the Gospels, that you find the term “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ”?
9. Where in the New Testament, but also outside the Gospels, do we find the distinction and difference between Jesus and the Old Testament prophets?
10. Where in the Gospels do we find what is called the “Trinitarian Formula” that Pastor Rivers also calls the “Great Commandment.”