“THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST”
READ MARK CHAPTERS 14:53 AND ALL OF CHAPTER 15
As we prepare for Resurrection Sunday, continue to teach and learn the next several Wednesdays from the “Passion of the Christ” to look at why and how Jesus was lynched and what should it mean for today’s church. Please read Mark Chapter 14:53-72 and all of Chapter 15 and answer these ten (12) questions:
- In Mark 14:53-65, the Sanhedrin heard charges against Jesus. What was the Sanhedrin and who sat on the Sanhedrin?
- In Mark 14:55-63, many false witnesses testified against Jesus but they could not find witnesses to support their charges but what was the charge they finally found Jesus guilty of and why do you think this guilty charge was the most important in the Gospel of Mark?
- In which verses of Mark Chapter 14:66-72 did Peter deny Jesus three times?
- Who was Pontius Pilate, what was his title, and how much power did he have?
- What do you think Jesus means in Mark 15:2 when he answers Pilate’s question, “Are you the king of Jews?”
- In Mark 15:6-15, when Pilate asked the crowd if they wanted him to release Jesus or Barabbas, the chief priests stirred up the crowd (like 45 does now) against Jesus so much that they demanded Barabbas be released and that Jesus be crucified, what was Barabbas’ first name? And can you find the irony in this scene based on Barabbas’ full name?
- When you read Mark 15:16-20 does the treatment of Jesus by the Roman soldiers, who were the police in Jerusalem, remind you of anything happening in America today?
- In Mark 15:21, what was name of the man who the soldiers forced to carry the cross of Jesus and what did he and Jesus have in common?
- What did the sign say that was placed over Jesus’ head, what did it mean and how did it show what Jesus had in common with the two men who were crucified on his right and left?
- What did Jesus cry out and say in Mark 15:34, what did it mean and which Scripture was Jesus quoting?
- Can you describe the meanings of these three important events in Mark 15:37-38; 39 and 40-41?
- Read Mark 15:40-41 and tell us what these verses show about the special relationship that women then and now have with Jesus and how these verses show that women were among Jesus’ first and most faithful disciples?