QUESTIONS FOR BIBLE STUDY
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 10, 2010
Startup: What is most important to you about the celebration of the Lord’s Supper?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
1. In what ways, if any, do you see the worthiness and nobleness and purity of Jesus in this chapter?
2. How would you explain what Jesus means by the word covenant in verse 28?
3. Notice in verse 38 how deep was the sorrow which Jesus experienced. How would you explain this verse to a child?
4. EYE FOR DETAIL—From what you recall seeing in this chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: When Peter heard the rooster crow after he had denied Jesus three times, what did Peter do next? (See verse 75.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
5. The woman mentioned in verses 6-13 is identified in John 12:1-3 as being Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus. From what you see in this chapter, what would you say Mary considered to be the most important things in life?
6. When Jesus told His disciples that one of them would betray Him, notice their response in verse 22. Contrast their response with that of Judas Iscariot in verse 25. In what detail was Judas’s reply different, and what did it reveal about his heart?
7. From the evidence you see in this chapter, how would you describe Simon Peter’s relationship with Jesus?
8. Why do you think Jesus gave no answer to the high priest’s questioning in verse 62, and yet immediately gave a clear and extended answer to the high priest’s question in verse 63?
9. How would you explain the meaning of what Jesus did and said in verses 26-28 to someone who had never seen or heard this passage?
FOR LIFE TODAY
10. What actions can we do that, in God’s eyes, would be equivalent to what the woman did with the perfume in verse 7? Or is it truly too late?
11. Is there any sense today in which we are called upon to “keep watch” with Jesus, as the disciples were called to do in verses 38-41?
12. Look again at the action (or lack of action) by the disciples in verse 56. What warning, if any, do you see for us today in their example?
13. Review the high priest’s verdict about the guilt of Jesus in verse 65. What do people “accuse” Jesus of today?
FOR GOING DEEPER
Study the regulations for the high priest in Lev 21:10, and compare it to the high priest’s action in verse 65. What does this imply about the opinion the high priest had of Jesus and His words?
(The Complete Bible Discussion Guide: New Testament, © 1992 by Questar Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)