CHARITY BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2010
Startup: Picture yourself being present in the situation described in verses 6-11. In light of your own personality, what thoughts or questions would be in your mind after you heard the words in verse 11?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
1. Acts is a book of many actions. What are the most important actions you see in this chapter?
2. Who are the people who play an important part in this chapter?
3. What are the most important things you know about the group of apostles in this chapter?
4. Bible teachers have considered the words of Jesus in verse 8 as a useful summary of the entire book of Acts. If Luke intended it to be so, what does this verse then tell us about his purpose for writing this book?
5. From the evidence you see in this chapter, how would you describe the nature of the resurrected body of Jesus Christ?
6. EYE FOR DETAIL—If everyone in the group has read the entire chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: As the disciples watched Jesus ascend into heaven, two men dressed in white appeared and spoke to them. What did these men call the disciples? (See verse 11.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
7. In the following verses in John’s gospel, look together at what Jesus said before He was crucified; then discuss how they find fulfillment in the events of this chapter—John 6:61-62; 14:2,12, and 16:28.
8. At the end of verse 1, notice Luke’s use of the word began. Since the content of Luke’s first book continues to the end of Jesus’ earthly ministry, what might this phrase indicate about Luke’s purpose of this book of Acts?
9. Here in chapter 1, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for worship or fellowship in the church today?
10. Picture the book of Acts as a fast-moving train. Chapter 1 is the locomotive in front, and the other chapters represent railway cars that follow behind. From what you see here in chapter 1, what is the energy in the locomotive—the point or principle or theme that’s the driving force for the locomotive and the entire train?
FOR LIFE TODAY
11. Here in chapter 1, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for leadership in the church today?
FOR GOING DEEPER
12. Verse 6 seems to reveal a fever of expectation among the disciples. Compare this verse with Dan 7:27. What sorts of world events might they have been anticipating?
(from The Complete Bible Discussion Guide: New Testament, © 1992 by Questar Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)