CHARITY BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 16, 2010
Startup: In the way we read and study the Bible, what kind of mental habits can most easily block this book of Acts from coming alive in our minds and hearts?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
1. Imagine you were helping to produce a film based on the book of Acts. To film the events recorded in chapter 2, summarize all the scenes to be included, and mention also any special kinds of scenery, background music, lighting effects, etc., that you would use to meaningfully portray the action.
2. Who are the people who play an important part in this chapter?
3. Which important details in this chapter do you think might be the easiest to overlook?
4. In what different ways does this chapter fulfill the words Jesus spoke about the church in Matt 16:18?
5. EYE FOR DETAIL—From what you recall seeing in this chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: What time of day was it when Peter stood up with the Eleven and addressed the crowd gathered in this chapter? (See verse 15.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
6. What to you is the strongest evidence that Jesus truly is alive?
7. In your own words, how would you summarize the victory the church achieved in this chapter, through the power of the Holy Spirit? How was it strategically important for the continued growth of the church?
FOR LIFE TODAY
8. In chapter 2, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for evangelism in the church today?
9. Also in this chapter, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for worship, for fellowship, and for meeting physical needs in the church today?
10. From what you see in this chapter, what is the appropriate basis for unity in the church today?
11. ACTION HERITAGE: What act or attitude of obedience in this chapter is the most meaningful example to you of what it means to follow Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit?
FOR GOING DEEPER
Verses 46-47 speak of the way the infant church was viewed by a watching nation. How do you see the example of the believers here as a demonstration of the principle taught later by the apostle Paul in Rom 14:17-18?
(from The Complete Bible Discussion Guide: New Testament, © 1992 by Questar Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)