CHARITY BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 30, 2010
Startup: If you were one of the believers present in the prayer meeting mentioned in verses 23-31, what words of prayer might you have added to those written here?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
1. Who are the people who play an important part in this chapter?
2. Imagine again you were helping to produce a film based on the book of Acts. To film the events recorded in chapter 4, summarize all the scenes to be included, and mention also any special kinds of scenery, background music, lighting effects, etc., that you would use to meaningfully portray the action.
3. Acts is a book not only of many actions, but also many reactions. What happenings in this chapter could definitely be called reactions, and what is each one a reaction to?
4. EYE FOR DETAIL—From what you recall seeing in this chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: How many nights did Peter and John spend in jail in this chapter? (See verse 3.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
5. In your own words, how would you summarize the victory the church achieved in this chapter, through the power of the Holy Spirit? How was it strategically important for the continued growth of the church?
FOR LIFE TODAY
6. In chapter 4, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for evangelism in the church today?
7. Also in this chapter, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for worship, for fellowship, and for meeting physical needs in the church today?
8. From the evidence you see in this chapter, what is the appropriate basis for unity in the church today?
9. ACTION HERITAGE: What act or attitude of obedience in this chapter is the most meaningful example to you of what it means to follow Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit?
FOR GOING DEEPER
10. Compare Peter’s bold charge in verses 11-12 with his teaching in 1 Peter 2:4-8. How is Christ’s identity as “the cornerstone” both an encouragement for believers and a judgment for those who refuse to believe?
(from The Complete Bible Discussion Guide: New Testament, © 1992 by Questar Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)