BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 5, 2011
THE STUDY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT PART ONE
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Welcome to Charity’s first Bible Study class of 2011. We open this year with one of the basic doctrines of the Christian Faith, the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit within theTrinity of God. As you prepare for our first class, please read the following Scriptures and be prepared to answer questions and participate in a lively and prayerfully informative discussion on the Holy Spirit!
We will teach that the Holy Spirit is the personal presence of God acting powerfully in the world today. We will show that the Holy Spirit is God working today in the heart of His people through the promise of his only begotten son Jesus the Christ.
One of the best definitions of the Holy Spirit as a person is given by John Leith, in his great book Basic Christian Doctrine. In this book Leith writes in the beginning of Chapter 10 The Holy Spirit: “The Holy Spirit is God’s personal and powerful presence in the world, who calls forth faith and unites human beings with what God has done for them in Jesus Christ.” Leith shines light on what Jesus said so eloquently in John 14:16-17 “ And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever — the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”
As National Baptist we believe in the Trinity of God. The word “Trinity” comes from the Latin noun “trinitas” meaning “three are one.” The Trinity expresses the belief that God is one Being made up of three distinct Persons who exist in co-equal, co-eternal communion as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Please see Article II The True God which is found on Page 606 of Articles of Faith in the New National Baptist Hymnal published by the National Baptist Convention USA, Inc. for our beliefs on the Trinity.
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT? THE HOLY SPIRIT IS A PERSON!
The Holy Spirit is included in the Trinity, which is made up of 3 distinct persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Read the following Scriptures on the Holy Spirit and be prepared to answer these questions:
As soon as Jesus (the Son) was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven (the Father) said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”(NIV)
1. What did John do for Jesus that pleased God the Father?
2. In what form did the Holy Spirit come to Jesus?
3. What did the Father, in the Trinity, say about His Son Jesus and why?
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (NIV)
4. What is the Scripture called and what command does it give us as Christians today?
5. Are we obeying this command of Jesus today? If yes, tell how. If not, why not?
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever– the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. (NIV)
6. What did Jesus have to do before he could promise a helper for His disciples?
7. What two names did Jesus give the Holy Spirit in these verses?
8. Why does Jesus say the world will not accept the Holy Spirit?
9. What did Jesus say the Holy Spirit will do with and for us as believers today?
Now the earth wasa formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
10. We first meet the Holy Spirit in the Second Chapter of the entire Bible, where was He?
7 the Lord God formed the mane from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
11. The Hebrew word for what God did to Adam in Verse 7 is ruach is the word for the Holy Spirit. What does it mean?
12. What happened to Adam after God gave him the ruach?
21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
13. Tell us where the three persons in the Trinity are identified in Luke 3:22?
14. What is the difference between how Luke 3:22 describes the descending of the Holy Spirit and what is in Matthew 3:16?
15. Was John the Baptist a relative of Jesus the Christ?
16. Was the John the Baptist and John who wrote the Fourth Gospel the same person?