BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19, 2011
THE STUDY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT LESSON THREE
WHAT DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DO?
Last week we completed the second installment on the Holy Spirit by teaching on the Holy Spirit as a person. Now we consider what does the Holy Spirit do? In his book Basic Christian Doctrine John Leith says, “The Holy Spirit is the chief agent in the life of the church.” This simply means that the Holy Spirit is working in the church today and in the hearts of Christians in specific ways. We discuss some of those ways right now.
The Holy Spirit Unites us with Christ!
If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root,
How does this Scripture show that the Holy Spirit unites us with Christ?
We are ingrafted into Christ by the work of the Holy Spirit
for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
2. What does ingrafted into Christ mean? Can you show the meaning of ingrafted in these first two Scriptures?
We have the indwelling of Holy Spirit.
9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
3..Do you understand the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as explained in Romans 8:9-11?
4. How would you explain the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to a new Christian?
The Holy Spirit makes your body his Holy Temple
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
5. How does this Scripture show that the Holy Spirit makes your body a Holy Temple? What does it mean when it says that you were bought at a price. Therefore must honor God with your body”?
The Holy Spirit starts our conversion
5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
6. This Scripture speaks about how the Holy Spirit starts our conversion which is our second birth to be born as Christians. What do you think Jesus means when he compares the Holy Spirit to moving like wind.
7. What is the Holy Spirit doing in John 3:6 when it says “flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.”?
The Holy Spirit as Counselor (lawyer) John 16:7-11
7 But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will convict the world of guilta in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10 in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned
8. In John 16:7-11, a very important office or work of the Holy Spirit is counselor or lawyer. What three things will the Holy Spirit prove in these 4 verses as Counselor to us and attorney for God? Think about has Convict, Convince and Convert!
The Holy Spirit as Enabler and Guide
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
9. The Holy Spirit does some of his best work as an enabler who empowers Christians and as our guide today. What do you think is meant in Verse 12 about more than we can bear and in Verse 13 as our guide “into all truth”?
The Holy Spirit’s as teacher
10. Verse 13 above speaks of the Holy Spirit as a teacher. What does the Holy Spirit teach today and where does he get his lesson plan?