CHARITY BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
WEDNESDAY, JULY 14, 2010
Startup: Notice the concerns and complaints mentioned in the opening verse of this chapter. What’s the last time you can recall complaining to this degree in your church?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
1. Who are the people playing an important part in this chapter?
2. How is Stephen described in this chapter?
3. Here in Acts, a book of action, what are the most important actions you see in this chapter?
4. EYE FOR DETAIL—From what you recall seeing in this chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: Luke gives the names of all seven men who were chosen to supervise the church’s ministry of food to widows, and for one of them, Nicolas, he also tells where he was from. Where was Nicolas from? (See verse 5.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
5. In your own words, how would you summarize the victory the church achieved in this chapter, through the power of the Holy Spirit? How was it strategically important for the continued growth of the church?
FOR LIFE TODAY
6. Here in chapter 6, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for leadership in the church today?
7. Also in this chapter, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for meeting physical needs in the church today?
8. Look again at the descriptions of Stephen in verses 5 and 8. If a Christian today had these same qualities, how would you be able to tell? What practical differences would it make in this person’s life?
9. ACTION HERITAGE: What act or attitude of obedience in this chapter is the most meaningful example to you of what it means to follow Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit?
FOR GOING DEEPER
Reflect on the descriptions of Stephen in verses 10 and 15 in the context of Christ’s promise in Luke 21:12-15. What was the dynamic behind Stephen’s powerful witness?
(from The Complete Bible Discussion Guide: New Testament, © 1992 by Questar Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)