CHARITY BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT
SEPTEMBER 1, 2010
1. Startup: When you get to heaven, and you meet the servant girl Rhoda mentioned in verse 13, what’s the first question you’d like to ask her?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
2. Who are the people playing an important part in this chapter?
3. Imagine again you were helping to produce a film based on the book of Acts. To film the events recorded in chapter 12, summarize all the scenes to be included, and mention also any special kinds of scenery, background music, lighting effects, etc., that you would use to meaningfully portray the action.
4. EYE FOR DETAIL—From what you recall seeing in this chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: What was the name of King Herod’s servant who helped the people of Tyre and Sidon to win Herod’s favor? (See verse 20.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
5. In your own words, how would you summarize the victory the church achieved in this chapter, through the power of the Holy Spirit? How was it strategically important for the continued growth of the church?
6. Suppose you were reading this chapter with a new Christian, and he asked you, “Why did God allow James to be killed, and yet He rescued Peter?” How would you answer?
FOR LIFE TODAY
7. ACTION HERITAGE: What act or attitude of obedience in this chapter is the most meaningful example to you of following Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit?
8. FOR GOING DEEPER
Several Herods had extraordinary “close encounters” with the person and message of Jesus Christ. Compare the experiences of Herod the Great (Matt 2:1-8 and 2:16), Herod Antipas (Mark 6:16-28), Herod Agrippa I (Acts 12:1-4 and 12:20-23), and Herod Agrippa II (Acts 25:23 and 26:1-30).