CHARITY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
BIBLE STUDY ASSIGNMENT – WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2010
1. Startup: Picture yourself being present in Lystra in the situation described in verses 8-18. In light of your own personality, what thoughts or questions would be in your mind after you heard the words of Paul and Barnabas in verse 15-17?
SEEING WHAT’S THERE
2. Who are the people playing an important part in this chapter?
3. Look at Verse 2 and tell us what do you think the unbelieving Jews said to the Gentiles to poison their minds against Barnabas and Paul?
4. Imagine again you were helping to produce a film based on the book of Acts. To film the events recorded in chapter 14, summarize all the scenes to be included, and mention also any special kinds of scenery, background music, lighting effects, etc., that you would use to meaningfully portray the action.
5. Which important details in this chapter do you think might be the easiest to overlook?
6. In a Bible atlas or on a Bible map of the Mediterranean world or Roman Empire in the first century A.D., trace the journey of Paul and his companions as recorded in Acts 13 and 14. Using the mileage scale, approximately how many miles did Paul travel on this journey?
7. EYE FOR DETAIL—From what you recall seeing in this chapter, try answering the following question without looking at your Bible: Luke mentions some Jews who stirred up the people of Lystra, resulting soon in Paul’s being attacked and nearly killed. Where did these Jews come from? (See verse 19.)
CAPTURE THE ESSENCE
8. In verses 15-17, as Paul speaks to the people of Lystra, notice everything he says about God. What do you think is the significance of each point which he makes?
9. In your own words, how would you summarize the victory the church achieved in this chapter, through the power of the Holy Spirit? How was it strategically important for the continued growth of the church?
FOR LIFE TODAY
10. Here in chapter 14, what appropriate patterns and principles do you see for evangelism in the church today?
11. ACTION HERITAGE: What act or attitude of obedience in this chapter is the most meaningful example to you of following Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit?
FOR GOING DEEPER
12. Review the mind-boggling change of heart on the part of the crowds in Lystra (verses 18-19) in the light of the Lord’s words in John 2:23-25. What do these passages reveal about human nature?
(from The Complete Bible Discussion Guide: New Testament, © 1992 by Questar Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)