“OBEDIENCE COMES BEFORE FAITHFULNESS!”
DEUTERONOMY CHAPTERS 4 AND 5
1. Where in the Old Testament can you find the phrase “obedience is better than sacrifice” and tell us the context then and the meaning today?
2. Why do you think Moses told Israelites in Deut. 4:1-2 that they must “hear and obey” the word of God BEFORE they entered the land God had promised?
3. Why do you think Moses reminded the new generation about what happened at Baal-peor?
4. Ready Deuteronomy 4:15-25 and think of how we could be guilty of idolatry today.
5. What did Moses tell the people they must do to gain wisdom and discernment?
6. Why do you think it was so important for Moses to teach the people the degrees and regulations before they entered the Promised Land?
7. How can we teach the next generation the importance of obeying God’s word?
8. Have you ever encountered God’s presence during prayer or worship and it made you more obedient and then more faithful?
9. Can you think of a time you should have been obedient first and then show your faith later?
10. Have you ever failed because you were trying to be faithful instead of being obedient?