BLACK HISTORY MONTH BIBLE STUDY SERIES
“IN THE BEGINNING, WE WERE THERE!”
“LET THE WORD MAKE YOU WISER IN 2019, COME TO BIBLE STUDY!”
Read Genesis Chapters 14-33 and answer these questions about the Black people in the First Book of the Bible and come prepared to discuss the following questions:
1. Who was Melchizedek and was he a priest or king?
2. How did Abram originate tithing and what did it mean then and now?
3. Can you look at Genesis 15:19-21 and name all of the Black people in this text?
4. Who was Hagar and what important role did she play in the beginning of the Biblical people and was she a slave or a servant?
5. When in Genesis do you see when God changed Abram’s name to Abraham and why did God change Abram’s name?
6. When did God change Sarai’s name to Sarah and why did God change her name?
7. Why were Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed?
8. How did Abraham deceive Abimelech and how did this deceit show Abraham’s character flaw that would be passed down to his grandson?
9. Who was Isaac and why was his birth and life so important?
10. Where in Genesis does Isaac become the symbol of the future coming of Jesus the Christ?
11. Where did Abraham buy his land and how was this purchase made possible?
12. Who was Rebekah and what was her important role in the growth of the Hebrews?
13. Who were Jacob and Esau?
14. How did Jacob deceive and steal from his brother Esau?
15. Why did Jacob run away from his homeland?
16. Who were the wives of Jacob?
17. What was Jacob’s ladder and was it a real ladder?
18. Where in Genesis do you see the story of the war between Jacob and his uncle Laban that caused the misunderstanding of the Mizpah. This misunderstanding has caused many Black churches and organizations to close their meetings with the phrase “May the Lord keep watch between you and me when we are absent one from another”? What does this statement really mean?
19. When did Jacob and Esau become reunited and what does it teach us about how we can maintain hatred in family through dangerous understandings?
20. What did Jacob teach us about how to repair the breach in our own families today?
21. Where in Genesis did Jacob wrestle with God?